Skip to main content

GOLDEN - A mixed-media collage with Prima Flowers

 
 
 
Hello everyone!  I hope you are all safe and sound. To all my Texas friends, I hope you are holding out alright in the midst of the storm!
Today I am bringing you a Mixed-Media collage canvas using a mix of my awesome PRIMA flower stash. Can I just say how much I LOVE PRIMA?  Their flowers are done in such yummy colors and textures, I can't help but be inspired!
 
I hope you enjoy.
 
 
SUPPLIES:
 
Canvas board substrate (this one is 8 x 10)
Miscellaneous embellishments ( metal, plastic, etc. from my stash)
Acrylic Paints - Assorted colors
Modeling Paste
Assorted mulberry papers
Collage image (from my stash)
Colored pencils or paint (to color her face)
 
 


Grabbing my stash of supplies - Here you can see that I have torn up some of the vintage pages and adhered them to the canvas board. No particular pattern, I used foreign text and varied colored pages.

TIME SAVING TIP: I often do multiples of these pre-collaged canvas boards at least to this stage. They are perfect to grab and go! Collage or paint on top, quick and easy start. Also helps me sometimes with the whole "staring at a blank canvas" thing. This way, There is always a starting point. Sometimes the whole thing gets covered over, but that's ok too!

I start my painting process. I have chosen 3 paint colors that I like together. I drop some color directly from the bottle and use a plastic credit card or similar to pull the color across the canvas. You can absolutely use a paint brush or your fingers, I just prefer this method.

Second and third colors added. I wait for each color to dry pretty well otherwise you can get a bit of a muddy tone going if they over mix.

Here I start tearing pieces of my patterned mulberry papers and placing them on at random. I like to stick with a theory of 3 or more.. Where you place a color on the page at least 3 times so that it doesn't look like a mistake. You can see on the right side the maroon/gold paper is in 3 strips close together, but I have added another piece to the left top side just to pop that color since I knew I would be covering up most of the paper with the image. I also used the orange-red patterned paper 4 times in varied spots to tie it into the paint scheme. I used a stencil and randomly applied molding paste through it. This creates a random pattern of raised texture on the board (the whitish fan type design you can see on top). Molding paste dries to a white. You can get it in colors or you can mix a color into it before applying but I will typically use the white until I figure out exactly what I want to do to it.

Here I went back in and added some gesso on top of the papers to push them into the background so the colors become muted.
Now I play with my embellishments and image. I find a placement and colors that I like and glue them down. The 3 flowers to the left of the image are all PRIMA!  I have added an extra plastic flower embellishment on top of the peach lace flower because I LOVE dimension and the middle piece, while pretty, was kind of flat and looked strange next to it's neigbors. I add some words, trim the ribbon and now to add the finishing touches

 

Here is the finished canvas!  I have used some metallic gold on top of the raised area where I used the molding paste through the stencil. I use a little gold on the edge of the canvas then use a black acrylic paint to loosely paint on a "frame". I also used some watercolor pencil to color in her face and add some color to the flourish in the image and also to the text line.
 
 
I hope you have enjoyed this project. If you have any questions for me, please use the comment section below and I am happy to answer!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Get on Over!

We like having you visit,  Make sure to subscribe... Just click here - easy peasy November will be filled with Die Cut ART,  join us. Embellish premade pieces art by Barbara Rankin Cut your own pieces Paint or Foil to add interest art by Lyneen Jesse Combine Die cuts in a variety of mediums art by Jean Moore Create with your manual die cutting machine  or buy premade
 Handy Tip for Artists, Recyclers and Neat Freaks! I have a follow-up to the Citra-Sol method for creating fabulous background pages and collages.   I bought a big bag of navel oranges and realized I had the ingredients to make my own solvent!   Simply take a clean glass jar, peel the rind from the oranges and place all the rind/peels, without the pulp (tangerines, oranges, navels) into the jar.   Pour enough vinegar over the peels to cover them.    Allow the jar to sit for a week or two and VOILA!     You have made your own solvent for literally pennies.    You will notice the liquid getting a bit thicker than the plain vinegar and it does not smell bad!!! I now have a  HUGE jar on the window sill!       Be careful and only use this after testing on a safe spot.

DINA WAKLEY Featured Artist

We are SO Proud to present Dina Wakley with her ART and February Tip   (oops, she says she is totally disorganized, so there is HOPE for all of us!) Dina Wakley is a mixed-media artist and teacher. She loves everything about art: creating it, thinking about it, looking at it, and teaching it. Dina is passionate about teaching art. She teaches both in-person and online workshops.  She is a docent at the Phoenix Art Museum, where she gives tours to school groups and gets kids excited about art. As a Ranger Signature Designer, Dina designs a line of mixed-media art supplies that includes acrylic paints, mediums, brushes, rubber stamps, stencils, and more. Look for the Dina Wakley Media Line by Ranger at a store near you.  Dina's books Art Journal Freedom and Art Journal Courage are available now. Also look for three new North Light DVDs starring Dina, available this month: "Art Journal Mark Making and Throwing Ink," Art Journal Color Courage," and &q