Skip to main content

Star light, star bright!

Happy Friday Everyone (oooh Friday the 13th)! 

We are getting ever closer to the big day so I thought I would share with you a very homemade, yet quick craft that makes a heartfelt ornament for hanging on a tree or beautiful adornment for special gift wrapping...a paper star.  

There are many, MANY versions of the paper star, from the German 5 point paper star to endless styles of Origami stars. I will skip the star tutorial (you're welcome) and let you pick the style and design you would like to use. 
I will; however, provide you with inspiration in the way of pictures and my FAVORITE source for all of your crafting supply needs, AlteredPages.com of course. 

I do have to admit falling right in love with these little beauties. They remind me of paper stars on my Grandmothers tree when I was just a little girl. I even made a little lovely out of paper scraps...I'm a big believer is using up every little scrap I can. 

All supplies are listed at the end of this post. Be sure to check out  Altered Pages  for all your supply needs. 


Above a star is done in pink chevron paper from Glitz with rose sticker accents. 
For the center I attached vintage red mini garland and a silvertone filigree charm. 
The garland and charm were attached using Crystal Lacquer. 
The hanger for this star was made with simple black ribbon. 

 

My next star was done using the double sided Joyeux Noel papers from Glitz. 
This literally is the same piece of paper...just front and back. My center design here is a button with a little amber gem in the middle.  

 

Here is the back side of the same star with the center of this being a paper flower
with the same style amber gem in the center. 
A strand of mini pearls was used as the hanger for this star. 

  

This star I left as a single star, meaning this one is flat on the back. 
I thought this would make a beautiful addition to a pretty package. 
A special gift deserves special packaging, right? Right! 
This was done using the "Uncharted Waters" 8 x 8 Glitz paper pack.
I just love how versatile these papers are. 


I used a grey ribbon bow and silver snowflake rhinestone for the finishing touch. 


Here is my sweet little scrap ornament. It just might be my Favorite. 
I took a long paper scrap about an inch wide and I accordion folded it. 
I then pulled the accordion together at the ends to create a circle. 
I glued the edges and attached a coordinating paper circle to the back to keep it secure
as well as to hide the mechanics. 
I then attached a Glitz giant gem from the Cashmere Dame collection. 
I added vintage mini garland around the outer edge
and continued that at the top to create a loop to hang it by.  
I added another Giant Gem from glitz to the back and finished it off with clear glitter. 


I hope you enjoy the pictures. And, I really hope you give this a try. 
This project was very similar to potato chips. Whaaaaat?! Yes, chips...once you start, it's hard to stop! 

Be sure to check out the supply list below. All links provided to save you time. 
Have fun crafting! 



Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Get on Over!

We like having you visit,  Make sure to subscribe... Just click here - easy peasy November will be filled with Die Cut ART,  join us. Embellish premade pieces art by Barbara Rankin Cut your own pieces Paint or Foil to add interest art by Lyneen Jesse Combine Die cuts in a variety of mediums art by Jean Moore Create with your manual die cutting machine  or buy premade
 Handy Tip for Artists, Recyclers and Neat Freaks! I have a follow-up to the Citra-Sol method for creating fabulous background pages and collages.   I bought a big bag of navel oranges and realized I had the ingredients to make my own solvent!   Simply take a clean glass jar, peel the rind from the oranges and place all the rind/peels, without the pulp (tangerines, oranges, navels) into the jar.   Pour enough vinegar over the peels to cover them.    Allow the jar to sit for a week or two and VOILA!     You have made your own solvent for literally pennies.    You will notice the liquid getting a bit thicker than the plain vinegar and it does not smell bad!!! I now have a  HUGE jar on the window sill!       Be careful and only use this after testing on a safe spot.

DINA WAKLEY Featured Artist

We are SO Proud to present Dina Wakley with her ART and February Tip   (oops, she says she is totally disorganized, so there is HOPE for all of us!) Dina Wakley is a mixed-media artist and teacher. She loves everything about art: creating it, thinking about it, looking at it, and teaching it. Dina is passionate about teaching art. She teaches both in-person and online workshops.  She is a docent at the Phoenix Art Museum, where she gives tours to school groups and gets kids excited about art. As a Ranger Signature Designer, Dina designs a line of mixed-media art supplies that includes acrylic paints, mediums, brushes, rubber stamps, stencils, and more. Look for the Dina Wakley Media Line by Ranger at a store near you.  Dina's books Art Journal Freedom and Art Journal Courage are available now. Also look for three new North Light DVDs starring Dina, available this month: "Art Journal Mark Making and Throwing Ink," Art Journal Color Courage," and &q